A Five Year Old's Fright

fant

Disney’s Fantasia, circa 1940.

What? You’re kidding, right? Nope, not at all. There isn’t too much to be afraid of when there are dancing crocodiles and hippopotami in tutu’s. The Sorcerer’s Apprentice was fun, something that I dream often about; all those brooms, dishes, mops and buckets doing the work I would normally have to do. So what’s got me hiding under the covers?

Chernabog and Night on Bald Mountain by Modest Mussgorsky, composition by Rimsky-Korsakov in 1886; a powerful, lyrical story-telling of things that go bump in the night.

Looking back, though the music is still exceptional, I have to laugh my neurosis. Tell me I’m not the only one this vintage Disney had quaking under the cotton?

You can relive the nightmare or have a good laugh on me at YouTube.

Chernabog1

0 comments: