By Dawns Early Light





On the morning of September 11th, 2001 I was cleaning the kitchen before I had to get Devin up and ready for his first day of Kindergarten. We were living near Portland, OR at the time and when I got a call from David saying that I needed to turn on the T.V., I could tell from the sound of his voice that something was happening. My first thought was that of large, hot-ash mushroom clouds looming towards our home. I had witnessed the massive eruption of Mt. Saint Helens on May 18th, 1980 and my six-year old self thought that it was the end of the world. Obviously, it was not the mountain spewing ash and dust, though in a grown-up sort of way, it was the end of the world as I have known it. As the towers fell, Devin asked what movie I was watching. “It isn't a movie, Buddy."



Seven years later and 9/11 is now called Patriots Day. As part of Devin’s Scout Troop fundraiser, we were up at the crack of dawn to place flags in the yards of those who signed up for the service. Every national holiday is import; this just happens to be the first that I can say “I remember” and he can too.



Devin Flag

0 comments: